Monday, June 15, 2015

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger, 4 Stars



Reviewed June 2013

Startled. That is the word that best describes how I felt when I finished the book.

I had seen promo's for the movie on TV and all my friends had read it. I hadn't heard much, so I went with Romantic Comedy. While there are passionate interludes and tender moments, this book is rife with tension and tough times.

Henry and Clare's life stories are uniquely disclosed to us as they each appear in each others worlds at different points on the timeline. Henry is the chronologically challenged character, who whizzes through time and tells us about himself and Clare. That eventually we learn about him via Clare was a well crafted turn of events.

Because I thought this was a happily ever after story, I was unprepared for life for Henry after 42. The possibilities of difficulties is well set up from the get go, but I didn't want to see them. I didn't want to feel them. Yet when I did, I held my breath, I gasped, and then I mourned. Yet in the end, I still held hope.

That this was Audrey Niffenegger's first book makes it only that much more genius. Great writer, inventive imagination, brilliant concept. I don't know why it took me so long to read it, but in the end, I am so glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Share your thoughts, but please remember Authors are humans too, so comments must be courteous!