Monday, June 15, 2015

Heart of the Matter

Heart of the Matter, Emily Giffin, 3 Stars


Reviewed May 2013
 
It was only when I had read the first thirty pages that I realized I've read this book once before. Astonishing really, considering the poignancy of the two primary story lines.

Surgeon Nicholas Russo is treating five year burn victim, Charlie. His single mother, Valerie, faces the ordeal of coping with this situation alone. Naturally she is grateful to Dr. Nick for his skills as a surgeon and the kindness he shows her and her son. Eventually gratitude grows into attraction.

Meanwhile Tessa, Nicks wife, quits her career as a lawyer to find balance between who she was and who she feels she needs to be. She quickly realizes that there will never be enough time to be the perfect wife and mother. At the same time she sees her husband distancing himself from her and their children.

This book touched me because it focuses on the many questions as to why some marriages survive and others fail, and how success and failure are defined. Ultimately the story is about being honest with those in your life about what you need and who you've evolved into.

Whenever I read books like this I remember a scene from a movie, Love Actually:

"Karen: Would you wait around to find out if it's just a necklace, or if it's sex and a necklace, or if, worst of all, it's a necklace and love? Would you stay, knowing life would always be a little bit worse? Or would you cut and run?

Harry: Oh, God. I am so in the wrong. The classic fool!

Karen: [voice breaking] Yes, but you've also made a fool out of me, and you've made the life I lead foolish, too!

These emotional words speak profoundly to my heart. What we decide to do as couples defines us, and then when the relationship is over, our choices can seem so small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Share your thoughts, but please remember Authors are humans too, so comments must be courteous!