Monday, June 15, 2015

Angry Housewives Eating BonBons

Angry Housewives Eating BonBons, Lorna Landvik, 4 Stars

 
Reviewed June 2013
 
If there were 1/2 stars to be given, I would have given 4.5!

I tried very hard to find out how old Lorna Landvik is, for about two minutes, and then moved on. Given that her first child was born in 1985 and she had traveled and worked in Europe before that, I am guesstimating that she was born around 1955. So, she is approximately fifteen years younger than most of the characters in AHEB.

Why so curious about her age, you ask, or wonder. The composite of the five primary characters; Slip, Audrey, Merit, Kari, and Faith, painted for me a more practical and complete picture of the life my own mother might have been living, given that she was having children during the same era the book was set in.

For the most part these women are educated, but stay home. These women smoke, drink, and toddle on high heels all the while pregnant and raising children. Across the centuries, women raising children, and wanting adult conversation, have sought out women in similar circumstances. When these five women connect, as a result of living on the same street, a life long and intricate friendship network begins.

Part of what makes this book unique is that each chapter cites a book that the book club host(ess) has chosen. I have added all these books to my reading list, since I would love to know what they read, and ponder why Lorna Landvik chose them. In looking them up, most of the books are considered classics of the 1960's and 70's. Still, something about them stuck in the authors mind.

Each woman is interesting, and faces challenges. Like most people I know, some portion of the truth is revealed, and with time and trust, the whole story emerges. Lorna Landvik conveys their demons and journeys in a raw and honest fashion, making it feel as though you are sitting in the room with them, feeling their joys and sorrows.

In the end, I was inspired. To ask my book clubs to generate a name, to read some great literature, and to give thanks for my own AHEB.

Great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Share your thoughts, but please remember Authors are humans too, so comments must be courteous!